Monday, April 20, 2009

Ahhh! Spring has finally sprung.


For me to be up early (before 11:00am) and dressed on a Saturday is usually unheard of. I have a motto that most in my immediate circle understand all to well; "Wake me and die". Hence most Saturday mornings Mike wakes and dresses in the dark exiting the bedroom ever so quietly. But not last Saturday, the unthinkable happened, I woke before him. Like the excitement a child feels on Christmas morning, I had anticipated a beautiful warm sunny day for most of the prior week, and I was not disappointed in the least. I knew exactly where I was headed for. With my hiking guide and a little input from Mike and Bree we narrowed the spot to Maitland Woods. A 4.3 km trail, part of the Maitland Trail System.

Today would be the first time we introduced Addie to a little nature, she being a little more tempermental than Gavin at this age, I was not sure how she would handle the great outdoors. But to everyones amazement she sensed how relaxing the experience was and fell fast asleep in her stroller only waking at the end of the hike for lunch.

We set out on the trail with anticipation of the wildlife promised by the brochure, streams and wetlands. As for wildlife it remained pretty well hidden, we could hear the birds but on the 2 hour trek only managed to spot a hawk in the air and 3 Candian gesse in a pond. As for the wetlands, they were mostly just muddy patches which surprised me at the lack of water at this time of the season. The trees, of course, have not yet bloomed, plants not rejuvenated, but the overall beauty of the woodlands were still very much present. It was the smell that left the biggest impression on me. The fresh scent of pine fragranted the warm breeze throughout the whole walk.

With the hike over, we headed to Goderich, another favorite spot of mine. As a kid we would camp in the park above the beach every summer. It provided us with all the passions in our lives, we could camp, spend the day at the beach, as well as run up and down the dock watching the freighters. In the evening we always headed to town, which was just up the block. The centre of town was one large circle, and we generally hit all our favorite spots before going back to camp for the evening fire.

Many years later my parents would pass these warm memories on to Bree and Mat, though camping was no longer permitted in the park, they could still enjoy all the other amenities that Goderich has to offer. With this in mind, I thought it would be great to have a barbeque on the beach and maybe I will be able to pass the love of this town on to my grandchildren.

All in all it was a wonderful day, a hike, time spent in Goderich, great weather, the beach and the best part; sharing it all with those I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment